Augusta State University has an immediate opportunity for a Systems Administrator with a BA (or) BS and four to five years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. The successful candidate will be part of the Programming & Systems Services division of Information Technology Services.
The System Administrator (SysAdmin), under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Programming & Systems Support Services, is responsible for maintaining the integrity and security of multiple UNIX servers and systems that support the university. The SysAdmin is expected to perform routine maintenance, upgrades, installations, etc., with limited support to keep our systems current with changing technologies. This position is primarily responsible for timely resolution of development or support issues related to the Luminis Portal Application and/or the interfaces to the SCT Banner Student Information System as well as for identifying opportunities and recommending processes for improving service efficiency and effectiveness for those systems. The SysAdmin also assists ITS support professionals with response to problems/issues by spotting reoccurring issues and devising a solution to prevent them.
The SysAdmin should possess a strong background in the UNIX operating system, preferably with UNIX server administration in a Sun and HP environment. As new technologies emerge and impact our systems, the SysAdmin is expected to learn these technologies very quickly and resolve any problems involved in integrating these with our systems.
The SysAdmin is a key technical resource for the programming & database administration staff, providing advice and technical support for various projects. In addition, the SysAdmin works closely with professional technical staff in the Information Technology Services (ITS) management team in evaluating current systems and making decisions on future development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Manages multiple UNIX servers (Solaris and HP-UX) in a network environment, ensuring that each server has 100% uptime. Performs software installations, patches, and security updates as necessary.
2. Troubleshoots problems with web, mail, and portal services, and overall aspects of the portal application to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational problems.
3. Manages multiple linked servers to include security, data safety and integrity, disaster recovery, and development and implementation of bulk data import/export procedures.
4. Coordinates with the database administrator and development team to schedule releases of operating system or application software updates
5. Administers the HP Openview Data Protector software to organize, conduct, and verify the enterprise systems backup strategy.
6. Ensure secure operation of all servers and services though the use of security and encryption tools such as SSH, SSL, IPSec and through extensive staff training and documentation.
7. Designs and develops advanced methods and procedures for collecting, organizing, interpreting, and reporting system usage data. Conducts growth analysis and capacity planning. Monitors system logs and activity on all servers and devices
8. Plans and implements system security policy, host and client access, file permissions, and user accounts. Perform maintenance on staff accounts. Adds, removes, and modifies accounts as necessary.
9. Manage UNIX security features to protect confidential information while allowing appropriate access.
10. Attend and actively participate in periodic support staff meetings
11. Performs On call after hours pager support as required
12. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
13. Receives general instructions for new responsibilities from supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Ability to work well in a team environment
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of interacting positively with upper management.
• Independent problem-solving, self-direction.
• Comfortable with most aspects of operating system administration; for example, configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing third-party software.
• Solid understanding of a UNIX-based operating system; understands paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, file system concepts. Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts
• Ability to write scripts for routine tasks
• Knowledge of data security and disaster recovery systems and procedures.
• Knowledge of a range of network systems, protocols, and applications.
• Knowledge and understanding of LAN administration in a secure environment.
• Ability to determine computer problems and to coordinate hardware and/or software solutions.
• Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise.
• Knowledge of systems security protocol, policies, and procedures.
• Knowledge of systems growth analysis and capacity planning processes and techniques.
• Knowledge of a broad range of relevant multi-user computer systems, applications, and/or equipment.
• Knowledge of data management techniques.
• Ability to plan, implement, test, and troubleshoot system software
• Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
Preference will be given to candidates with a working background in higher education and experience with the operating systems, computing environment, and software used by the university. As an employee of the University System of Georgia you will enjoy a liberal leave, retirement, and benefits package. Background checks are conducted for positions of trust.
Job location: Augusta, Ga.
Salary range: High $40's
Position close date: open until filled
Apply at or send resume to Augusta State University, Personnel Office, 2500 Walton Way, Augusta, GA 30904-2200 or send email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org