I have released a new document explaining in depth, yet quite basically (go figure) how to configure the uPortal iPerson object. This "disabled-out-of-the-box-for-some-reason" object needs to be tweaked to work with Luminis III.2.
What is it?
The iPerson oject or the poor man's cpip is a hang-over, (read that as a potential headache :), from uPortal and its java classes are still accessible from Luminis. Which BTW I think rocks !!! The object, when configured properly, can access user information from either your backend database (via jdbc) or from the Luminis LDAP.
But What does it do?
On a more basic level, it can provide this information to your channels, specifically the WebProxy, to access the current user's information. Using the WebProxy channel in conjunction with this object, these variables can be passed to an external source through the querystring.
For example : http://apps.messiah.edu/LuminisXML/persondir.asp?uid=jwheat&pdsRole=admin
This querystring passes the userid and their current role within Luminis.
Version 1.2.1 released on 12/10/2004, covers :
- PersonDirs.xml configuration
- JDBC connection as a source
- LDAP connection as a source
- iPerson Attributes / default channel
- Example : WebProxy to a static HTML
- Appendix A: Example : WebProxy to a custom ASP page
- Appendix B: Example : PersonDirs.xml file (jdbc)
- Appendix C: Example : PersonDirs.xml file (ldap)
The latest revision (1.2.1 / PDF) is attached below.